It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 17:04

Phantasy Star 
Awesome Possum

Post Phantasy Star
Well. Hi.

I was thinking of picking up one of the Phantasy Star titles for the Mega Drive. What do I need to know about the series? Is it a continuous plotline, or seperate stories like DQ/FF? If it is a continuous plotline, is it necessary to have played the earlier games to understand what is going on?

20 Dec 2010, 03:00
Site Admin

Post Re: Phantasy Star
Sorry, I didn't notice this post down here and now its probably a bit late.

The Phantasy Star games don't really require you to play all of them in order, there's gererally only the odd mention of previous games here and there in the later games.

I'd probably start with Phantasy Star IV, as its by far the least dated, the only thing is that it may be difficult to go back to the older games after playing it.

30 Dec 2010, 04:29
Awesome Possum

Rich wrote:
now its probably a bit late.

I'll say, I turned my Mega Drive on that morning to be greeted with... nothing. Bastard won't turn on! Annoyingly I was playing Micro Machines on it the other day. It has had problems with the power socket before but not on this level.

Anyway that was a very helpful answer, but sadly I cannot put it to use right now :P2

31 Dec 2010, 19:02
Site Admin

Gummidge wrote:
I'll say, I turned my Mega Drive on that morning to be greeted with... nothing. Bastard won't turn on! Annoyingly I was playing Micro Machines on it the other day. It has had problems with the power socket before but not on this level.
That's a pain, luckily Mega Drive's aren't that hard to come by though, so I'm sure you'll be back in business in no time.

02 Jan 2011, 03:41
Bubsy

I agree on Rich that newcomers should try out Phantasy Star IV first. It includes story elements from the previous 3 games and also has a nice progression to it. The original Phantasy Star on the Master system is difficult in the beginning (with a lot of grinding starting off) and the final dungeons which are pretty long. Phantasy Star II is a great game but once again the mazes in it are expert level hard. Phantasy Star III has a more standard RPG flair than Sci-Fi at the beginning, but it has an interesting generations story to it. PSIII is mostly considered a sidestory whereas PS1, PSII, and PSIV are considered the true trilogy.

If you have a Dreamcast give Phantasy Star Online a try. It's good even offline as a hack n' slash game. If you wanna play it the with other people try a private server on the PC for PSOBB like Schtack.

01 Dec 2011, 03:10