It is currently 26 Sep 2017, 08:21

Wonder Boy/Adventure Island Comparison 
Site Admin

Post Wonder Boy/Adventure Island Comparison
Just finished this, I'm starting to feel like I'm going through the motions with these comparisons ^_^' oh well only like 100 more to do :D ..... :(

http://retro-sanctuary.com/comparisons-wonderboy.html

All talk goes in this thread as per usual

03 Jun 2010, 22:21
Zool

Post Re: Wonder Boy/Adventure Island Comparison
Holy crap, Adventure Island was actually Wonder Boy?!

I never knew that, and I love Wonder Boy in Monster World (though I only have it on the Virtual Console), it's a fun little game.

04 Jun 2010, 03:01
Aero the Acrobat

I am actually more familiar with Adventure Island than Wonder Boy. I have been playing Adventure Island games all my life and I had never knew it was all started by Wonder Boy. I also think that Hudson had a closer bond to Nintendo rather than Sega because Master Higgins began to be a recurring character for the Adventure Island series. I wish Hudson would bring back the Adventure Island franchise though because there hasn't been a sequel for the game in over 20 years, excluding that awful mobile phone game.

04 Jun 2010, 03:05
Site Admin

THEALFOOO wrote:
I am actually more familiar with Adventure Island than Wonder Boy.
Yeah, most Americans seem more familiar with Adventure Island, its hardly surprising really though seeing as you guys had a Nintendo monopoly going on during the 80s. I'd imagine very few people would've had access to any another version.

THEALFOOO wrote:
I also think that Hudson had a closer bond to Nintendo rather than Sega because Master Higgins began to be a recurring character for the Adventure Island series.
Remember that Hudson Soft didn't actually have anything to do with the first Wonder Boy/Adventure Island though, all they did was port the game to the NES and change things around to avoid getting sued, it was the game's creators, Westone who were working with Sega, in fact, seeing as Hudson were effectively porting Sega licenses to competing machines I doubt they were very close companies :D

After the first Adventure Island game Hudson retained the rights to create sequels, much in the same way as US Gold did after their Strider port. Unlike US Gold's dissapointing Strider sequel Adventure Island 2 was a very commendable effort though, being one of the best platformers on the NES in my opinion.

04 Jun 2010, 13:47
Bubsy

Rich wrote:
Just finished this, I'm starting to feel like I'm going through the motions with these comparisons ^_^' oh well only like 100 more to do :D ..... :(

http://retro-sanctuary.com/comparisons-wonderboy.html

All talk goes in this thread as per usual

I like your site.

24 May 2011, 10:07
Site Admin

Thanks, I guess I must be doing something right

26 May 2011, 00:20
Bubsy

THEALFOOO wrote:
I am actually more familiar with Adventure Island than Wonder Boy. I have been playing Adventure Island games all my life and I had never knew it was all started by Wonder Boy. I also think that Hudson had a closer bond to Nintendo rather than Sega because Master Higgins began to be a recurring character for the Adventure Island series. I wish Hudson would bring back the Adventure Island franchise though because there hasn't been a sequel for the game in over 20 years, excluding that awful mobile phone game.

I'm interested to know playing Adventure Island.

24 Jun 2011, 08:43
Aero the Acrobat

jenny1 wrote:
THEALFOOO wrote:

I'm interested to know playing Adventure Island.

It is a pretty simple game, you play as Master Higgins and you must save his GF Tina from some monster that has kidnapped her. Along the game you must collect fruit to fill up your energy bar that depletes over time and the longer you stay on a level, the more the energy bar depletes like a timer. When the energy bar goes down to zero, you lose a life. Master Higgins has other useful weapons such as: hammers, boomerangs and boas. You can also travel to the end of a level faster using a skateboard but you have to be extra careful because enemies and rocks can make it disappear. This game has 3 sequels on the NES, 2 on the Snes, 1 on the TurbograFX16, a cellphone version of the game and 1 on the Gamecube but it has never been released outside of Japan.

20 Dec 2011, 07:49