It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 05:12

Trip to the Eurogamer Expo 
Site Admin

Post Trip to the Eurogamer Expo
Me and some of my friends went to visit the show again this year, and along with all the latest games I was pleasantly surprised to have found a new dedicated section for retro!

Some of the new games I played were -

Mario 3DS - What I played of this was really great, the game feels like a return to roots for the series, re-incoporating more of the original, linear 2D elements into the gameplay. Ironically enough it most reminds me of the game I was playing a few days beforehand, Super Mario Bros 3 (but in 3D), the few levels I played had Racoon Mario and fire flower power-ups, the enemies and styles seemed similar, and there was even a battleship stage!

Mario Kart 7 - To be honest I'm a little burnt out on the series these days, but this seemed like a perfectly good update, with a nice 3D effect and a few extras (there was a handglider in one of the sections) overall it's pretty much what you'd expect, and fans probably wont be disappointed

Kid Icarus - Seemed pretty cool, its a nice action game, some of the sections play similar to a rail shooter (think Sin and Punishment, or Star Fox), whilst other areas were on foot, and more like a third person shooter. The controls were the usual d-pad + touch screen set-up, and whilst it worked pretty well with the stylus I was wishing for my DS thumb stick

Retro Stuff

I got to spend a lot of time with the Vectrex, which I've never played before, which was very cool (the analogue thumbstick was actually very good on it). I played a game similar to Asteroids (not sure of the name)

Played tons of Tempest 2000, on the Jaguar, which I haven't played in years.

I also spent time on a freeplay Metal Slug arcade machine, freeplay Bubble Bobble, and an Atari Lynx (racing game, can't remember what the name of the game was)

I also entered a Pong competition against my will, but didn't manage to win :D2

27 Sep 2011, 20:44