It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 05:24

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 What Have You Played Recently? 
Site Admin

Post Re: What Have You Played Recently?
Been playing a lot of Legend of Oasis recently, good game, but I keep getting lost.

26 Oct 2010, 02:55
Bubsy

Rich wrote:
A lot of RPG's, I'm forcing myself to play through the PS1 RPG's back to back at the moment which is a pretty hard undertaking :cry:

Hopefully I'll feel confident to think about a top 100 PS1 by the end of the year :?

The board's here are as good as dead. How's the list going by the way?

25 Dec 2010, 16:29
Site Admin

oqpo wrote:
The board's here are as good as dead.
Yup, they've been totally dead for months now unfortunately, on the bright side the main site is going from strength to strength though.

I've been considering closing the forum down and then re-opening it in a couple of years, by which point (if the growth continues the way it has been) there should be loads more people about.

oqpo wrote:
How's the list going by the way?
LOL, the 100 PS1 list is not getting done this year! in fact, until a couple of weeks ago I thought I was going to get the 100 Saturn games list done but now I think even that won't be done till some time in January.

Sorry! :embar:

30 Dec 2010, 04:25
Bubsy

Hi all - this probably doesn't belong here but I just came across this site yesterday and wanted to say how great I think it is :) for one thing, it's the only site I've found I actually AGREE with the "top 100 games" lists! lol!

I've recently been adding a lot to my collection and started try to complete as many as possible that I never got round to when they were released - I'm currently working through my SMS stuff, with occasional ones out of my MD and SNES collection for some variety.

probably completed about 30ish so far this year across lots of formats. Finally did Story of Thor on the MD yesterday - amazing game I thought! I know it came late in it's life, but it really showed what the MD was capable of.

30 May 2011, 05:20
Site Admin

Skolly wrote:
I've recently been adding a lot to my collection and started try to complete as many as possible that I never got round to when they were released - I'm currently working through my SMS stuff, with occasional ones out of my MD and SNES collection for some variety.
Wait a while for the SMS as I'm in the process of doing a quick overhaul of that list which should be finished within two weeks.

Its just that I noticed a while back that there's a lot of talk around the internet saying that most of the best SMS games are downgraded ports from 16-bit, and therefore most of the library isn't worth bothering with, my present list kinda' supports this, so I've been working to limit the amount of downgraded ports mentioned, and put more emphasis on original SMS games (on top of that I've also run into a decent number of games since the list was made which deserved to be included).

I'd say I've removed maybe 50% of the Mega Drive ports now, as well as improving the overall quality of the games listed.

30 May 2011, 16:37
Bubsy

Ah, that's really interesting - I will keep an eye on it :) one thing I have found is that a lot of SMS ports try to "improve" on the MD versions (maybe to make up for the graphics/sound) and they are quite different. I have been seriously impressed by a few that I'd never played until recently!

Just out of interest how do you place the games in the lists you have? I only ask because I often find I need to complete a game to fully appreciate it - hence trying to complete the ones in my collection.

With all those lists you have, you must do an awful lot of retrogaming across all the formats!

30 May 2011, 17:04
Site Admin

Skolly wrote:
Just out of interest how do you place the games in the lists you have?
Lots of research with old magazine reviews, and searching through forum posts for recomendations to start with, then lots of games playing, then the games are sorted into categories and compared to each other on a genre basis before being all put together and re-sorted.

There's also a few pointlessly elaborate and time consuming procedures I go through which aren't really worth getting into to be honest (probably not worth doing either truth be told :D)

I try to complete as many games as possible, but certain games give me a lot of trouble and I've been a bit reckless with this in the past (I'm much better for this now).

Skolly wrote:
With all those lists you have, you must do an awful lot of retrogaming across all the formats!
Yup, though I'd played a helluva lot of games before I started the website, which held me in good stead.

03 Jun 2011, 18:25
Bubsy

I'm enjoying the Genesis Ultimate Collection for the PS3!!!

I visited this site to see what games would be worth the time (many I had played before). I just beat Shining Force for the first time and I'm working on Shining Force 2!

06 Jul 2011, 08:21
Site Admin

I've been playing a lot of Spyro: Year of the Dragon recently, a lot of good, varied gameplay here so far, but I'm not too keen on Spyro as a character to be honest.

07 Jul 2011, 15:46
Awesome Possum

I've been doing a lot of Megadrive stuff recently - turns out the aforementioned problem with it 'breaking' was just the power cord being dodgy, only working at a certain angle. Now I feel pretty stupid.

I modded it to operate in 50 and 60 hz using this guide: http://mdpal60.net/regionmod . It was surprisingly easy to do, and it works perfectly. To compliment this, I found a really cheap Master System Converter on eBay - £5! So now I have access to three entirely new libraries of games - Genesis, JP Megadrive and Master System.

Lastly I picked up an RGB cable from eBay, to replace my fusty old RF junk. An enormous improvement, greatly increasing the clarity to the point where it could rival my computer screen. It also made the colours looked a lot less washed out, and I'm actually seeing new colours I haven't seen before in my games.

As for the games, I picked up a few Master System games at the shop. They vary in quality, but there's some excellent games there. I've been flitting between Shinobi and Master of Darkness the past few days, and they're bloody fantastic.

Don't have any import Megadrive games yet (and my library sucks as it is), but rest assured the first title I pick up will be Hard Corps, which a few friends are looking forward to as well. Much cheaper than Probotector, and when I switch it to 60hz it won't play the music too fast, which will be probably be the case with Probotector.

Rich wrote:
I've been playing a lot of Spyro: Year of the Dragon recently, a lot of good, varied gameplay here so far, but I'm not too keen on Spyro as a character to be honest.

That's the last title I'd expect you to have played. My favourite in the series probably has to be Gateway to Glimmer, Year didn't quite live up to it personally. Levels were generally less interesting, there was loading crap in between games and the final boss and after-game are so much better.

08 Jul 2011, 17:34
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next