It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 05:23




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Recent Gaming Bargains 
Author Message
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 17:08
Posts: 122
Post Re: Recent Gaming Bargains
Fat_bot wrote:
Just ordered 3D Dot Game Heroes from Amazon.com, so I'm looking forward to some neo-retro gaming on Friday.
A friend of mine recently got that game too, really loves it.

Personally I don't understand the point, there's like 20 odd games in that style on SNES all of which have far better graphics, music and presentation and all of which have more originality, they're all probably cheaper to buy as well. I think maybe people just like to be "current"


28 May 2010, 14:12
Profile
Zool
User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 03:47
Posts: 60
Location: Michigan, United States of America
Post Re: Recent Gaming Bargains
Alright, went to the video store today and picked up what looks like an unauthorized Genesis/Mega Drive game called Action 52. Never heard of it before, and it has a bunch of clipart-looking things on the front, as well as a picture of an NES controller. So I'm assuming it's a collection of minigames, or perhaps some stolen NES games. Whatever it is, it was 6 bucks, so whatever.

Also got Haunting Ground (PS2) for 7 bucks. It interested Sara and me back in the day, but then it got some poor reviews and I lost interest. Saw it again a while back at GameStop for like 30 or 40 dollars and my interest came back :P So yeah, they had a nice copy and I decided what the heck.

More interestingly, they had the light gun for the Master System there, though it was $25 bucks, and the guy said he got a Master System in recently, but he wasn't sure it worked and what cables it needed. Rich, if it works off the same power supply and RF source as a Mega Drive, I might have to go back and pick it up... ;) Dunno how much he wants for it, but I'd love to have a Master System in my collection.

They also had a Game Genie for the Sega Game Gear, which I hadn't seen before. I wanted to get it, but it was 15 bucks so I figure I'll wait for that one.

_________________
The old Forums are dead. Long live the Forums!


30 May 2010, 04:26
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 17:08
Posts: 122
Post Re: Recent Gaming Bargains
Fat_bot wrote:
More interestingly, they had the light gun for the Master System there, though it was $25 bucks, and the guy said he got a Master System in recently, but he wasn't sure it worked and what cables it needed. Rich, if it works off the same power supply and RF source as a Mega Drive, I might have to go back and pick it up... ;) Dunno how much he wants for it, but I'd love to have a Master System in my collection.
Yeah it should all work (definitely the RF cable will) but I think it depends on what Mega Drive you have, I don't think the Mega Drive 2 has the same power supply connector as the Mega Drive 1 (also might be different here to the US).

A Game Gear power supply should definitely be compatible if you have one.

Mega Drive controllers are compatible with 99.9% of Master System games too (I have like over 100 games and only one of them refuses to work with a Mega Drive pad, Wonderboy in Monster Land)

Did he say what game was built in?


30 May 2010, 15:27
Profile
Zool
User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 03:47
Posts: 60
Location: Michigan, United States of America
Post Re: Recent Gaming Bargains
Rich wrote:
Fat_bot wrote:
More interestingly, they had the light gun for the Master System there, though it was $25 bucks, and the guy said he got a Master System in recently, but he wasn't sure it worked and what cables it needed. Rich, if it works off the same power supply and RF source as a Mega Drive, I might have to go back and pick it up... ;) Dunno how much he wants for it, but I'd love to have a Master System in my collection.
Yeah it should all work (definitely the RF cable will) but I think it depends on what Mega Drive you have, I don't think the Mega Drive 2 has the same power supply connector as the Mega Drive 1 (also might be different here to the US).

A Game Gear power supply should definitely be compatible if you have one.

Mega Drive controllers are compatible with 99.9% of Master System games too (I have like over 100 games and only one of them refuses to work with a Mega Drive pad, Wonderboy in Monster Land)

Did he say what game was built in?

Master Systems have a built-in game? I don't think he knew much about it other than it was a Master System and the light gun was there; like he said, he didn't know which cables worked with it, so it might not work at all.

I'll probably be up there again in a few weeks, so if he still has it I'll tell him which stuff works with it and maybe get a price. I do have a Game Gear power supply, so no worries there, but my Mega Drive is a second-gen model and I do recall having to find a different RF switch for it.

_________________
The old Forums are dead. Long live the Forums!


31 May 2010, 03:49
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 17:08
Posts: 122
Post Re: Recent Gaming Bargains
Fat_bot wrote:
Master Systems have a built-in game?
Yah, every revision has a game built in, early ones just have snail maze which is accessed by holding up and two buttons simultaneously when you boot the system up with no games in it.

After that they made an Astro Warrior revision, then the Hang On and Safari Hunt revision, then the Alex Kidd in Miracle World revision, and lastly the Sonic the Hedgehog revision (the Sonic one was never released outside of Europe though I think)

In my opinion you're best off with the Alex Kidd revision as that pretty much gives you a classic game for free as an extra, though I guess if you've got a lightgun you'd want the revision including Safari Hunt :? Astro Warrior is simple but actually pretty cool.

Fat_bot wrote:
but my Mega Drive is a second-gen model and I do recall having to find a different RF switch for it.
I've just used a generic RF cable with mine before and it worked fine.


31 May 2010, 13:05
Profile
Zool
User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 03:47
Posts: 60
Location: Michigan, United States of America
Post Re: Recent Gaming Bargains
Alright, so Action 52 kinda sucks. Graphics aren't much better than a low-end NES game, sound is pretty generic too. It wasn't unexpected, but I was hoping for a surprise.

_________________
The old Forums are dead. Long live the Forums!


01 Jun 2010, 22:13
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 17:08
Posts: 122
Post Re: Recent Gaming Bargains
Fat_bot wrote:
Alright, so Action 52 kinda sucks. Graphics aren't much better than a low-end NES game, sound is pretty generic too. It wasn't unexpected, but I was hoping for a surprise.
Isn't that game quite rare?


02 Jun 2010, 20:28
Profile
Zool
User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 03:47
Posts: 60
Location: Michigan, United States of America
Post Re: Recent Gaming Bargains
Rich wrote:
Fat_bot wrote:
Alright, so Action 52 kinda sucks. Graphics aren't much better than a low-end NES game, sound is pretty generic too. It wasn't unexpected, but I was hoping for a surprise.
Isn't that game quite rare?

Honestly, I haven't checked that much as to its rarity.

What time is it? Google Time.

_________________
The old Forums are dead. Long live the Forums!


02 Jun 2010, 21:08
Profile
Zool
User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 03:47
Posts: 60
Location: Michigan, United States of America
Post Re: Recent Gaming Bargains
Well, I guess it is rare, or so sayeth Wikipedia. I can't believe it originally sold for 200 bucks... that's 309 dollars in 2009 bucks (last year they have data for on the inflation calculator I like to use)

_________________
The old Forums are dead. Long live the Forums!


02 Jun 2010, 21:18
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 06 Mar 2010, 17:08
Posts: 122
Post Re: Recent Gaming Bargains
Fat_bot wrote:
Well, I guess it is rare, or so sayeth Wikipedia. I can't believe it originally sold for 200 bucks... that's 309 dollars in 2009 bucks (last year they have data for on the inflation calculator I like to use)
How would you have felt if you'd spent $200 on it back in the day?

:fury:


02 Jun 2010, 21:29
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.